gimme shelter

September 21, 2011























This cutie here is one of the newest member of the cat colony that I've been hosting in my yard for some time now, despite grumpy neighbors. He's always been hyperactive and playful and the first to greet me everytime I brought them food but suddenly one night he appeared weak and uninterested, so I freaked out.
I must admit that I really took these stray cats at heart so that every sign or change makes me suspicious, even when I shouldn't. But this time my worries proved right when the day after I found one of the kittens dead and him standing alone in the corner all curled up, sick and unable to move.
Still shaken from what happened to the other kitten and fearing that they might've been poisoned I understood that I had to do something if I wanted to save him at least.

Finding an open vet on a saturday night was a lucky break but they didn't give us much hope: he had fever and was severely dehydrated, and though not ruling out poisoning they diagnosed a viral infection.
But the little one was full of surprises and the very next day he showed already promising signs of recovery though still having trouble breathing and eating.
A quiet recess on my balcony sheltered him for five long days with us going back and forth from the vet for the therapy. Watching him behind the bars in his little cage was painful and sad but we found comfort in the thought that he somehow knew we were saving his life.

I took the picture above right before setting him free. He sure was terrified but staring at his eyes, so bright and eager, we felt that all of our efforts had been widely rewarded.

Someone told me that "Nature has its own ways", that I should "let things be".
But to me the only thing against nature is not to care at all.
 
Those eyes will always remind me that.

3 comments:

Hila said...

oh gosh, this post got me all teary. I used to volunteer at an animal shelter, and also for a cat rescue organisation. The things people do to these poor creatures made my blood boil. Every once in a while, I also find strays abandoned and take them in till I find them a home.

What a beautiful story, and I couldn't agree moire with this statement: "But to me the only thing against nature is not to care at all." How true. When I look into my cat's eyes, I just can't imagine how anyone could not care about him, or be cruel to such a gentle and loving creature.

Colette said...

This is very sad. But sometimes there is nothing one can do to fix it. At least you were there to help him as much as you could, and that counts for something.
I get very attached to animals and the thought of people being cruel or careless towards them just breaks my heart. It is inhuman to not care. I feel like everyone should care for the world to become a better place.
Thanks for sharing your pretty (although sad) story.

thea said...

naaaaaaw, a beautiful story - i'm glad you're saving the little ones...

thea.
xx

(spoonfulzine)

Post a Comment